Friday, March 4, 2011

What Fun

Thursday, March 3, 2011

I can't get over how much fun it is to have my picture taken. And I can't believe that I am saying that! I was somebody who avoided and shunned the camera -- I was terrified of it. I never knew how to stand to bring out my good side -- if I even had a good side. I never liked my pictures after they were taken, and even when I thought a picture came out halfway decent, I would analyze it to death and figure out something that I could criticize and not like about the picture.

One result of that fear and hatred of the camera is that I have very few pictures of myself over the years. I can live with not having a photo journey of me getting older. But what I do regret is that there are very few pictures of me with my kids as they were growing up. How I wish there were some of those poignant mother-child shots of my kids and me over the years. I have one that I positively treasure, and it was snapped by a stranger in an airport. 


Eliminating this fear of the camera was one of the reasons why I started this whole adventure. I wanted to be comfortable in my own skin, and I thought that by taking pictures day after day, I would have a better idea of what works on me, what I like, and what I don't like. And you know? It's working. I am liking the camera more and more. It's so much fun! 

I wonder if the kids growing up today, with all the multimedia that they are exposed to in the course of their lifetime, will have that fear of the camera that I had, and I wonder how it will affect their self-esteem.




sweater -- Charter Club (thrifted)
pants -- London Jean (Victoria's Secret)
shoes -- Thom McAn (Kmart)

We also had time today to restage the pictures with the colored tights using some of the suggestions I received. I think the boots were much better, but I think that I am still liking the belt, which almost everybody said I should ditch. I even experimented with another color -- a darker shade. I think that I like the darker color better, but honestly? I'm still sitting on that fence.


And here are some more of those fun pictures!




2 comments:

  1. Do your kids know about your blog? I didn't tell mine initially because I think I was embarassed about it, but now I think they check in daily! It's so true that mothers are rarely snapped with their kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Terri -- It was harder for me to tell friends and acquaintances than my kids. I finally "came out," so-to-speak, on Facebook, and that was harder for me to do. I didn't want anybody to kind of burst my bubble, or think that I was too self-absorbed or materialistic or something. My older daughter has pretty much known about it from the start and I think she looks at it every day (she finally posted a comment). It's really nice, and I like that she does. My son -- he is just not into it at all, so I'm not sure if he even knows or not. But he did take pictures of me a few times, so he knows that I'm doing something. I'm kind of waiting for his girlfriend to see it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Honest opinions and constructive criticism are always welcome.

Popular Posts