Sunday, March 27, 2011

All Night Long

Thursday, March 24, 2011

When was the last time that you pulled an all nighter? For me, it was last night. It's something I used to do fairly regularly when I was in school and needed to cram for some exam, but unfortunately I still have to pull one much too frequently. I say unfortunately, because I don't bounce back the way I did when I was younger. 

Pulling an all nighter is sometimes my fault because I have a bad habit of procrastinating until the absolute last minute, and then I find that I have backed myself into a corner time wise. Other times, it's simply because I don't have enough hours in the day to do what needs to be done. I suppose that's just an excuse though. If I managed my time better -- if I learned how to say, "No" -- or if if I had more money, I probably never would have to pull an all nighter.

Last night it was mainly because my financial situation precluded my ability to say no. I had to edit a paper* that I really didn't have time to do. But I needed the money, and so I said yes. I finished editing it around 6 am, so I did manage to get about 3 hours of sleep. But it wasn't enough, and I felt like death warmed over when I got up. Needless to say, I didn't really have the energy to put a lot of thought and effort into what I was wearing, and it kind of shows.

*I do love to edit, so it's hard for me to say no -- I basically get paid to learn. Last night, the paper was on the emissions from cruise ships. I was shocked to find out how bad cruises are for the environment!

 
cami -- Express
sweater -- Carolyn Taylor (Freecycle freebie)
pants -- Zen Cabana (local shop)
shoes -- Dansko (outlet)

These pants are a little strange. The inside of the waistband and the hems are in a contrasting fabric, which makes  me think that the waistband should be turned or rolled over and the hems folded up. But the clothing tag is on the inside of the pants, so if the waistband is rolled over to show the fabric then the tag shows. And the pants are made of rayon, which is so slippery that if I roll up the hems to show the contrasting fabric, they fall right out. 


My necklace is a piece of fused glass that my mom made (thanks Mom!). 


I  am a huge environmentalist, and I was shocked to see how bad cruises are for the environment! One study estimates that a cruise generates about 1 pound (approximately .5 kg) of carbon dioxide per passenger-mile (this translates into almost a ton of carbon dioxide per passenger per cruise!). In comparison, a long-haul plane flight (flights that are greater than 6 hours in duration) are half that. 

Although the paper I was working on focused solely on air pollution, cruises also generate blackwater and greywater, which is usually dumped directly into the ocean; bilge water; ballast water (a source of invasive plants and animals); and solid waste. When I look at the environmental damage caused by a cruise, it just makes me go "ewwww!" and not want to go on a cruise until they can be made more environmentally friendly. 


Lyrics: All Night Long, Lionel Richie

 Well, my friends the time has come,
Raise the roof and have some fun.
Throw a-way de work to be done,
Let the music play on.
(Play on, play on, play on...)
Everybody sing, everybody dance.
Lose yourself in wild romance.
We're go'ng to party, Karamu, fiesta, forever.
Come on and sing along.
We're go'ng to party, Karamu, fiesta, forever.
Come on and sing a-long.

All night long (all night), all night (all night).
All night long (all night), all night (all night).

People dancing all in the street.
See the rhythm all in their feet.
Life is good, wild and sweet,
Let the music play on.
(Play on, play on, play on, play on...)
Feel it in your heart,
And feel it in your soul.
Let the music take control.
We're go'ng to party, liming, fiesta, forever.
Come on and sing my song.

All night long (all night), ooh (all night).
All night long (all night), yeaz (all night).

Yeah, once you get started you can't sit down.
Come join the fun, it's a merry-go-round.
Everyone's dancing their troubles away.
Come join our party, see how we play!

(Jambo nipe centi moja.)
(Yeah, jambo, jambo.)
(Way to party o' we go'n',)
(Oh, jambalai.)
(Jambo nipe centi moja.)
(Yeah, jambo, jambo.)

Oh-oh-oh-oh, yes.
We're gonna have a party, yeah, ugh!
All night long (all night),
All night (all night).
All night long (all night),
All night (all night).
All night long (all night),
All night (all night).
All night long (all night), ugh.

Everyone you meet (all night),
They're jamming in the street (all night),
All night long (all night).
Yeah, (all night).
I said, everyone you meet (all night)
They're jamming in the street (all night),
All night long. (all night).

1 comment:

  1. I have been known to pull an all-nighter, but mine is usually do to insomnia rather than work. I have taken three cruises...and now I wonder if I should have.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Honest opinions and constructive criticism are always welcome.

Popular Posts