Friday, February 25, 2011

Borrowing a Page

Friday, February 25, 2011

I've been working a lot this past week -- overtime at my 9 to 5 job* as well as some freelance jobs. And then instead of going to sleep when I got home from work, I've been surfing the Internet. By Friday morning, I was exhausted.

I crawled into bed at 5 am, after setting the alarm for a scant 4 hours later. Needless to say, when that alarm went off at 9 am, I was not very anxious to get out of bed -- to get moving, let alone figure out what to wear to work or get dressed. The one saving grace, however, was that it was Friday, casual Friday, which meant I could wear jeans! I never have a problem figuring out what to wear with jeans! It's easy, and I can wear almost anything with jeans.

I was kind of feeling down in the dumps -- probably a combination of being very tired and looking out the window and seeing the weather. It was gray out -- rainy and overcast. And then I had a flash of inspiration! 


I decided to take a page from Jentine's style book. Jentine is this amazing wonder thrifter, with an awesome sense of personal style. You can catch her finds over at My Edit. This past week, she suggested pairing fancy sequin tops with a pair of jeans in her Thrift Thursday post. What a great idea!
Jentine from My Edit

Isn't this great? I don't have the fancy sequin tops that she has, but I did have a beaded camisole that I bought maybe 10 years ago and never wore -- I don't know what occasion I have been saving it for. So I figured why not wear it, under a blazer, with my jeans?! The minute I thought of that, my mood lifted! It just seemed like kind of a fun thing to do. 

* My job doesn't have your typical "9-to-5" hours -- I typically work the 2 pm to 10:30 pm shift, with a 30-minute break for dinner. However, even those hours aren't cut in stone, and they can be switched on almost a daily basis. This week, it has been noon to 10 pm. The shifting shift hours makes it pretty rough on the body. And with the overtime and extra work, it just seems like all I was doing was sleeping (barely), eating, and working. 



It didn't end up looking the way it did in my head -- I didn't realize that the blazer was so big on me, but it was still a lot of fun to wear, and I felt comfortable wearing it. And now I have a better idea of how to wear it the next time. The bar has been set.

The funny thing was that I thought the guys at my office (I work with almost all guys) were going to give me a lot of grief about my top, but they didn't pay it any mind. It was my shoes that caught their attention! They loved my Chuck Taylors! They saw them, and immediately started reminiscing about their youth.They were actually disappointed that I wore a pair of black socks and not a pair of white sweat socks.




I had to post this picture of my cleavage. The last time I had cleavage like this, I was nursing my kids. I can't believe that menopause affected this part of my body!

 camisole -- P phosphorus (Marshalls)
blazer -- Miley Cyrus & Maz Azria (thrifted)
belt -- Aeropostale (thrifted?)
pants -- The Limited
sneakers -- Chuck Taylor Converse All Star (Zappos)

8 comments:

  1. I don't know if you still want one but feel free to use a pic from by blog...
    yay for casual fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jentine! I just rewrote my whole post. It's tough keeping up with these posts, and half the time when I read it the next morning, I realize that what I wrote didn't even make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Lady K:

    What a great look! You've got the "tomboy" element of your personality with the footwear -- looks classy, comfortable with a bit of sophistication.

    Joy (from the FBFF network)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Joy! I appreciate it! It was a fun outfit to wear -- and out of my comfort zone a bit, but I have been stretching lately. Blogging is doing that to me. My one co-worker who takes my pictures for me said that he thought it fit my personality too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Lady K! Thank you for commenting and leaving your url. It is now added to the blogroll. I think I'll be making a special page for my list of +40 bloggers and keep it updated. I am so pleased to see so many of us out there.

    Do you ever read Advanced Style? It's a street style blog that focuses on the "sterling set" of stylish folks over 50. One of my faves.

    the Citizen Rosebud

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how Jentine has inspired you!
    Keep experimenting with the cleavage until you get a response!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Citizen Rosebud -- yes, I do read Advanced Style. I also read Idiosyncratic Fashionistas. Love both of them. We all owe you a huge favor in putting together that list! thank you. thank you. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Terri -- haha about the cleavage. :-) I am actually finding out, at least in my office, that the guys are way more interested in my shoes?! Go figure.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Honest opinions and constructive criticism are always welcome.

Popular Posts