Tuesday, January 15, 2008

some thoughts

From a list friend ...

Accomplishment isn't about visible things like being elected president (apt image for this year!) or publishing a book, but also about the quiet personal triumphs no one else is aware of. One thing I've found is that some of my best accomplishments happened with little or no effort on my part. I had a pretty bad drug habit for years. During that period my mind was saying "STOP IT", and I knew I WANTED to stop, but I didn't. I made the effort of will to stop quite a few times, and it would last for maybe a few weeks, but it was always based on my mind screaming at me "DON'T DO IT!" The effort of will that was required only took me so far. When the drug problem finally stopped, it was with little or no effort on my part. It finally just "happened", of its own accord. The mind was right in what was needed, but it seemed to be wrong about the timing. And I do believe that if I hadn't tried so hard to stop, it might have ended earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Honest opinions and constructive criticism are always welcome.

Popular Posts