Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Outside My Comfort Zone

Monday, January 24, 2011


dress -- Old Navy / tank -- Old Navy
scarf -- JCPenney
tights -- Target / boots -- Diba (thrifted)
earrings -- Silverworks / gift
bracelet -- Fair Trade
rings -- family / DIY gift / mood ring (Washington DC)

Wow ... Today, I was wearing clothes outside my comfort zone. Purple tights and a scarf! Yikes. I kind of felt like I belonged in Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory* with the purple tights. Anyway,
I really like the way colored tights look with a skirt or a dress, and so I've been wanting to try to find a way to wear them. I got the tights at Target -- they have a great selection of colors at a fairly decent price -- and the color was a perfect match to a tank that I already had. 

I added the scarf at the last minute. I like the "idea" of scarves -- they look dressy and elegant, but on everybody else. So, to be honest, I took the scarf off when I got to work, and then put it back on for the picture! I'm just not comfortable wearing a scarf inside, and I find them to be kind of annoying. To me, a scarf is something that belongs around your neck when you're outside, and it's cold.  

I'm not sure if this outfit was a hit or a miss, and I can't put my finger on what's making me hesitate. I liked all the pieces individually, but did the sum of the pieces add up to less? I guess I'm wondering if I went a little bit overboard with both the scarf and the tights. Maybe the color of the tights was just a bit too bright for me? I wonder if I would have liked it more if the color was a bit more muted.

*In Roald Dahl's Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Violet Beauregarde was one of the five children who found a golden ticket to the Chocolate Factory. She ignores Willy's rules during the tour, and grabs a piece of chewing gum in the Inventing Room. When she chews the gum, she turns blue and inflates like a giant blueberry. The Oompa Loompas have to roll her to the Juicing Room to squeeze the juice out of her. At the end of the movie, when Charlie is leaving the chocolate factory, he sees Violet and she's all blue. Funny that I didn't think of Avatar, when I thought about being blue.

Here's a few other ways that I've worn this scarf.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Honest opinions and constructive criticism are always welcome.

Popular Posts