Thursday, February 3, 2011

Unforgiving

Thursday, February 2, 2010

shirt -- Delia's
camisole -- Route 66 (Kmart)
pants -- Josephine Chaus
belt -- Levi's (thrifted)
shoes -- Thom McKan (Kmart)

My pictures are being taken at the end of a long day at work (10:30 pm) by my wonderful friend and coworker. And after having stared at paper copy and computer screens for 8 hours, I'm tired, and he's tired. And because a camera is unforgiving -- it captures my tired eyes, my worn-out looks, and clothes that are too tight -- it can be really hard to get a picture that I like, especially at the end of the night. 

And yet, my friend never seems to mind when I say, "Ewww ... that picture is horrible! Can you take another one?" And he will keep taking pictures until I'm happy. 

Tonight was a case in point.* Here is just part of what he has to put up with ... 

"Ok. How should I stand?"

"How about if you look off to the side? Put your foot a little bit behind you."

"I look fat."

"No you don't."

"Can you take another?"

"Stand up straight now."

"I closed my eyes."

"Stand up straight."

"I look tired."

"No you don't."

"Wait, I'm not ready."

He never seems to get mad or frustrated with me, no matter how much I whine or complain. And believe me, I do whine and complain, and then I whine and complain some more.

And yet, even at the end of a long night, when we are both exhausted, he has taken some of the best pictures of me that I have ever seen. I think a big part of it is because he doesn't get mad, and I'm able to relax. He also doesn't make me feel silly or stupid -- no judgment. And that makes a world of difference when I'm having my picture taken, a time when I feel so incredibly vulnerable. 

I am incredibly lucky to have found such a good friend. Take care of your friends -- they are hard to find.  

*I was exhausted tonight -- every time, I tried to look at the camera, my eyes started to cross. If my eyes weren't crossing, then they were closed. If my eyes looked ok, then I wasn't standing up straight enough, and my stomach rolls were showing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Honest opinions and constructive criticism are always welcome.

Popular Posts