Monday, February 20, 2012

Where did it go?

My belt ... not the time, but that too.

shirt — Old Navy (Old Navy)
skirt — Loft (thrifted)
belt — thrifted
boots — Hayley (thrifted)

I get up really early (early for me anyway) to get ready for work. In fact, there are times when the night just blends into the morning, because it's easier to just stay up all night than to try and roust myself out of a nice warm bed after just an hour or two of sleep (I know myself and my relationship with my bed all too well, so sometimes it's best to not even try to fight my slug-a-bedness).


The day that I wore this outfit to work was one of those days, or was it nights? Either way, I was still half asleep when I got dressed. I pulled on the skirt (it has one of those yoga-style waist band that is forgiving folds over, so I literally pulled it on), saw the belt out of the corner of my eye, and thought, "Oh wow. What a perfect match!" I took the belt off the back of my closet door and checked it out against the skirt. Yep ... it definitely was a perfect match a match made in heaven if I say so myself. It's one of those Indian-style seed bead belts, and the colors were just perfect to play off the skirt, without being too contrived.


So then I started hunting around for a shirt to wear with them. Hmmmmm .... a black shirt would work quite nicely, and since half of my wardrobe is black I do have a couple of black shirts, this should be a piece of cake, right? I rummage through my closet, find this one and slipped it on. It was perfect! "Perfect!" I said. In fact, it was so perfect that I couldn't imagine wearing any other combo but this. There was only one problem .... I couldn't find my belt!


Awww heck. Where did it go? I just had it it couldn't have gone very far, for crying out loud. I looked high and low, and then I looked low and high! The pile of crapola in my room got bigger and bigger as I methodically picked each item up off the floor and shook it looking for that clandestine belt. I went through the pile a second time, and probably even a third time for good measure. I threw all the blankets off my bed, thinking it had somehow found its way under my covers where it was warm and cozy. I looked underneath my bed, thinking that it had slipped down between the mattress and the wall, and the dust bunnies had scurried off with it. No BELT. Geez Louise ... AGGGGH. I wanted to scream. I wanted to cry. I wanted to stamp my feet and throw a temper tantrum. By this time, a good 20 minutes had probably passed, and I was starting to panic. I still had to get packed for the week, and get out the door, and now I had to pick out something else to wear because no way was I going to wear that skirt and that shirt without that d*mn belt (read about some of my other morning struggles here)! I sighed in resignation and started to pull the shirt up over my head, and lo and behold ...


There it was. I was so tired (and stressed) that I didn't even realize that my belt was under my nose around my waist the entire time. How bad is that?


I alluded to how time was flying by up above, and I hope this partially explains why I disappeared again ... Work has been so hectic and crazy that I didn't even remember that I had a belt around my waist. Thank you all for asking and caring enough to ask about me ... My company went through its rating review last week, which is the project that I've been working on since last October. I'm hoping it slows down a bit now (not too much though ...).

Linking up to Patti at Not Dead Yet Style for Visible Monday, because even though I didn't wear this outfit today, the orange was pretty visible. As an aside I was pretty proud of this outfit, but I'm a bit nervous that it was a bit too young for me. (Seriously, can't you see a little girl of about 4 years old, with strawberry blonde curls wearing it?) Or maybe it looks like the Great Pumpkin decided to come a bit early and show up in February instead of October?

11 comments:

  1. It is so good to have you back and to have a hearty laugh at this saga of the missing belt. We've all done such things (with me, its my glasses...and then someone will point out that they are on my face!) I love the belt with this and hope that your company review went well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty funny story! I can't tell you how many times I get to work and look at something I put on or left off and wonder...how did that happen?? Good to have you back!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a great outfit and not too young AT ALL!! I love that belt but I love that bracelet even more. Love the colors. And that story? Totally sounds like something I would do. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we all agree -- your story is very familiar! I have, like Terri misplaced my glasses on my own head. I've missed you, and it's great to see you again, and thanks for linking up to Visible Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha...I'm exhausted already! I think orange & black is fabulous! Not too young! No way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very funny and clever way to describe how this outfit came to be! I think it's really fun, especially the belt and bracelets, and not a bit too young.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww sending you lots of hugs. I do that sort of thing all the time. Putting something down and hunting all over the place when it's right in front of my face (or worse in my hand!) I love the orange skirt and the belt. I think the outfit is very ageless, and those easy waist skirts? A godsend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was so happy to see a new post from you today, especially one that made me laugh (not to mention it made me feel a little better about my own misadventures). I've been a little obsessed with orange lately so I'm loving your skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore everything about this outfit. That belt is so very cool!
    I am glad you are back with us. I do understand what work stress is like and I wish you did not have to face it.
    I misplace stuff all the time. It is so frustrating and the more frustrated you get the less likely you are to find it. I am trying to remember where I put a bracelet that I want to wear and still have not found it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great outfit! Love that belt and skirt. LOL, I HATE when I misplace something. My famous last phrase is ... 'it's just LOST'. Awesome that most of this is thrifted; from a fellow thrifter. Goodwill is my favorite store!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Honest opinions and constructive criticism are always welcome.

Popular Posts