Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A Rhinestone Dragonfly

Now that I've spent all night staring at all the "Best Dressed" and "Worst Dressed" lists of the 2012 Red Carpet Night at the Oscars, I thought that I'd show you how this girl glams it up ...

 
shirt — thrifted
skirt — thrifted
boots — Dansko (Factory Outlet) 
dragonfly pin — (thrifted)
 

I kept it comfortable and casual with an eggplant-colored above-the-knee skirt, and an on-the-both shoulders creamy white top. Note that the knit material of the skirt was selected to complement and facilitate the morning festivities, which featured an encore performance of guardrail climbing. I added a sterling silver chain, a purple-and-blue rhinestone-studded dragonfly brooch, and then completed the look with a pair of sunglasses, which enabled me to travel incognito. Otherwise, I just get swarmed by people who think that they might get their picture in the newspaper on my blog.



Seriously speaking now, one of my favorite gowns from last night's Oscars was this one worn by Missi Pyle.

Photos by A.M.P.A.S. (see here)

Why was this one a favorite? Because this blue dress is actually a "green" sustainable dress that was designed specifically for a red carpet event! It has repurposed zippers and the lining is out of recycled polyester. The silk material of the dress was spun from cruelty-free Ahimsa or “peace” silk named because the silk is obtained from the cocoons without killing the silkworms inside. And that beautiful seafoam color? The dye came from an environmentally friendly natural mineral. Read more about the dress here and the contest that sponsored its design here.


I'm not sure why I like these next two pictures with my mouth hanging open like this, but I do.I must have thought something was pretty funny.

To answer all your questions from my last post about what did I do after ripping my skirt? My first thought was that I was going to have to wear my coat all day. (That was NOT going to work, since I'm in the throes of hot flashes these days I apologize if that is TMI. It's not like it's a secret, because the whole world can tell when I have one because I light up like a Christmas tree, and the sweat just pours off of me.) My second thought was that I was going to have to use my stapler, and staple it together in the ladies room. The thought that actually worked, however, was safety pins. They were my very good friend that day. I forget why I had some with me (I use them fairly frequently .... ), but I did manage to get by. It also helped that the rip's bark was worse than its bite (the rip sounded so horrible that I thought it had to be ripped right up to my waist).


Linking up to Patti at Not Dead Yet Style for Visible Monday because I was just the right amount of visible in this skirt (meaning my entire backside wasn't visible).

8 comments:

  1. I like your look so much...it is really cute! Nice touch with the pin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laughing!!! I love the "on both shoulders" fashion idea -- it might catch on : > You look great, and the knit skirt is just the thing for suburban mountain climbing. Thanks for linking up to Visible Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way the boots look on you. The dragonfly is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you were probably laughing at me.. taking your picture, paparazzi style. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pin is gorgeous and the skirt is a great fit. I'm glad you were able to make it thru your workday in the ripped skirt.

    I want to read up on the peace silk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm beginning to LOVE knit skirts. They're both comfortable and flattering; as you've shown here.

    Also, I wanted to let you know that I tagged you on my blog today to do the '11 Things' Challenge. I hope you can/will do it!

    Gracey

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love the button details on your shirt! So cute. I'm always hunting basics like that. Glad you were able to pull together a solution for your skirt. I think the worst thing I ever did was fall in the rain one morning and rip my pants. Thankfully I was heading back by my own house anyway (had just started wearing glasses and left them at home while spending the night at a friends)... I ripped open the bum and knee, changed pants and then my knee bled through by 2nd period because I didn't realize how badly I fell! Thankfully a friend of mine bandaged me up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 👢🔥🔥🔥

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Honest opinions and constructive criticism are always welcome.

Popular Posts